Join our brilliant Building for Growth Programme starting March 2018
“There are a lot of good businesses out there, but some have areas where they need to build capacity if they want to rise to the next level. For example, many are relying too heavily on the skills of one key person, some of the IT practices are not very efficient or robust, and marketing communications can vary from the sublime to the almost non-existent."
Gordon Hunter, Supply Chain Development Manager, hub South West
March 2018 sees the launch of our highly successful development programme for local supply chain members looking both to win contracts on hub South West construction projects but also to map out how to build their business over the next 5 years. March 2018 sees the launch of our highly successful development programme for local supply chain members looking both to win contracts on hub South West construction projects but also to map out how to build their business over the next 5 years.
Eighty four delegates from 62 companies have completed the programme since the first one in 2014, many of them going on to be successful suppliers to our Tier 1 Contractors.
Building for Growth is aimed at ambitious companies in construction and related sectors which are based in Lanarkshire, Ayrshire and Dumfries and Galloway. It run over 8 half-day sessions (10-2) over a period of 12 weeks, culminating in an Awards Event where the delegates pitch their business to our Tier 1 Contractors.
We are looking for entrepreneurial businesses looking to grow in a sustainable manner by building the skills and internal capacity to take on increasing volumes of business. A golden rule of the programme is 'no competitors', leaving you free to discuss any business issues, challenges and opportunities in a safe and supportive environment with a like-minded group of business people.
While the programme is free to attend, there is a substantial investment in time involved which you should take into consideration. Full information is provided at our short Information event in February.
Most of the sessions are held within the offices of our Tier 1 Contractors including Kier, Morrison, Graham, Morgan Sindall and Ashleigh, and we seek to ensure both that we learn from them, and that delegates are added to their supply chains as well as our own.
Programme 8 will start on Thursday 22nd March 2018. Companies participating in the programme will get the following benefits:
- The opportunity to learn from experts in their fields.
- Real progress through action planning and ongoing support to build capability and expertise in key business development areas such as people management, IT, tendering and marketing.
- Build relationships with hub's Tier 1 Contractors who meet delegates and pass on their expertise as various stages in the programme.
- Last but not least by any means, the opportunity to take time out of the business and meet and learn from like-minded business people and form lasting bonds and informal support networks.
Pre-Programme support: A Business Health Check to identify and clarify your business objectives, and what you need to put in place to help you to get there (approximately 2 hours).
Learning sessions: (total of 28 hours of workshop sessions):
- You as a Leader in Your Business - Nature of Leadership / About You / Innermetrix (personality) Profiling
- Building for Growth - Strategic Growth and Exit Options / Getting the Right Team in Place
- Your Business - Business Analysis / Planning Tools / Mind Mapping
- Your Customers - Branding / Marketing Planning / Sales / Customer Care
- Digital Marketing - Delegate Websites / Analytics / Email marketing/Social Media
- A Good Corporate Citizen - Corporate and Social Responsibility/ Waste and Environmental credentials
- Smart Tendering - Supplier Development Programme/Public Contracts Scotland/ Constructionline/ Quick Quotes
- Pitching for Business - Presentation techniques and preparation for Awards Event
Final Awards Session: Presentation to Awards Panel of Tier 1 contractors on 1) what you learned from the programme and 2) How you are going to move your business forward as a result. The 'hub South West Contractor of the Year' will be decided and awarded at the event.
Roll of honour: Participants in past programmes
Huge thanks are due to our facilitators who gave willingly of their time to conduct the workshops. It has been good to see that these sessions have already spawned a number of ongoing projects with our delegates, thus ensuring that the learning and development has progressed beyond the official end of the programme.
## = Main Award Winner